Some of you may remember my DIY Combination post where I said I wanted to begin building a raised bed planter in order to experiment in gardening. Well, I’m proud to say, the quest has begun.
My raised bed planter is complete; at a much cheaper cost than I first believed. It came to be $51.00 for a 4×2 box. Although this is a little small it should be enough to start. The main purpose of this was to start a composting heap anyway, not so much growing veggies and fruit immediately.
This all started with, believe it or not, losing my wallet in my English class. I went to pick it up from my instructor and she introduced me to a lumber yard that I had never heard of before. I picked up 40 feet of rough 1×8 cedar cut to 4 foot lengths (since my vehicle couldn’t fit 8 foot pieces). Getting home, I cut two of these into two 2 foot pieces and proceeded to plane them to 3/4 inch thickness. I wanted a natural look to the planter but wanted to get some of the roughness out. The planing did a fine job of this. I ended up cutting the boards down to 3/4 x 6 so the box would be 12 inches deep after double stacking the “walls”.
Originally I was going to dovetail all the joints on this box, but due to time restrictions I ended up using Kreg pocket holes to fasten the boards together. I do still intend on doing a planter like this with dovetails later, but for now this works nicely. I Kreg Jigged all the boards with pocket holes in various strategic places and commenced to screwing the boards for the bottom “wall” together.
Laying the box on its edges, I lined the top “walls” with the lower ones and using 12 inch long 3/4 x 3/4 inch support strips I attached the walls together. When I completed that I put the box back on its base and attached the ends with these wonderful screws called SPAX screws. I then flipped it over and cut my box “floor” with the remaining wood, cut to 2 foot x 7 inch x 3/4 inch boards, and proceeded to attach them with these same SPAX screws.
I finished the project off by routing the edges flush with the walls and giving it a thorough sanding with 60, 120, and 220 grit sand paper. This may not seem like much of a job to an experienced wood worker but it was an experience for me. Not being use to soft wood, the cedar was interesting to work with. For one it did not sand like I was use too and it worried me that I may have been sanding too much. It came out OK, though, and it looks really good. I did not include any glues or wood preservatives or treatments on this; I wanted it as natural as I possibly could make it. No stains will be applied or anything. I will allow the cedars natural weathering to make the box look amazing.
Composting is the next project in this quest. I have researched a few places to get compost. Making it for this project is not feasible since I’m on a time crunch but I will be making it for the next planting season. I also plan to have another box in the works that is larger so I can plant more veggies and fruit. I will be experimenting, as well, with using my wood waste (sawdust) and grass clippings in the compost I make myself. I’ll post more on that when the time comes.